Monday, September 23, 2013

Life lessons with Guiseppe

"Piano Ryan, piano." This is a phrase that i've heard from Guiseppe on more than one occasion. Piano, pronounced pee-yah-noh, means slowly. I hear it sometimes when we're walking, or I'm trying to help with something, or Guiseppe is repeating a word/phrase to me for the third time. Im realizing that here in Dinami, life in general is much slower than what I'm used to and this is allowing me to live in every moment. I'm not saying this to sound deep or profound because it literally feels like I've been here for two or so weeks when it has only been five days. The days don't drag by I just lose track of time, as in it never fails to be a couple hours later than I think it is. This lifestyle has been a great change for sure, not that a fast paced life is bad, I'm just realizing how much more can be experienced if you just slow down. Piano, piano.

Examples of living piano that I've seen/experienced:
• meals always last at least an hour and are filled with food, laughter, stories, and more food.
• just about everyone here has an extensive garden and orchard and relies heavily upon them for food throughout the year. Obviously much time is spent on that garden to table process
• Guiseppe made wine yesterday using an old process that, according to Fabio, isn't being learned by the next generation. It involved boiling the juice in giant pots over a wood fire for about four hours, this being one step among many. 
• everyone has a clothes line, self explanatory 
• whenever Guiseppe and I are walking around town, we always take time to stop and talk to literally everyone 

Piano. 

1 comment:

  1. So interesting! Grandpa had to learn "piano" when we moved to KY. Quite a different pace in eastern KY than what we were used to. Savor every morsel of each "big 'ol bite!"

    ReplyDelete