Monday, October 14, 2013

Buono Tempo

In Italian, "tempo" means both weather and time (it's also a brand of tissues but we're gonna look past that for now). Are you serious? Cheesy analogies are kinda my thing so there's no way I'm passing this one up. 

I'm not sure what I would do with myself if a meteorologist accurately predicted the weather for a whole week. Heck, I'd take two days in row for that matter. It's just so unpredictable even with technology so advanced it can predict whether I should start An extra running back or wide receiver this week in my fantasy football league. I think that unpredictability makes it that much more incredible, intemidating, and sometimes dangerous. I wish I had my own personal life-ologist who could make predictions on what was coming up for the week. He'd pop in sometime during breakfast and be like, "Hey Ryan so probably don't eat Taco Bell later today cause you'll regret it after. Waffle House on the other hand is totally fine!" This guy gets me, unfortunately there's no random person coming over to let me know what's up. Time, more specifically what happens in our time, is frustratingly/wonderfully unpredictable. Recently I find myself wanting more and more to just know what's going to happen. Questions like, should I take this job, should I move to this new place, should I spend this money, or should I date this girl run through my head. Like any other person, I fear failure which isn't all bad but this fear sometimes prohibits me from progressing in life. The unpredictability causes me to dig in, get comfortable, and wait it out. If you ask any of my climbing partners what are some of the most memorable we've had in the gorge, they would probably say the days that we went when the weather looked terrible/it was raining when we left and it turned out to be a perfect climbing day. I can't let unpredictability hold me back.

We have all these sayings that center around time. Times flies when you're having fun, time is money, time heals all, and...well I thought I knew more, for the sake of the blog let's just assume there's an agregious amount of sayings centered around time. Why is this? Maybe time is just super relevant in many aspects of our life or I'm over thinking this or we just like a good catchphrase. I think time, like our heartbeat or breathing or having non-expired milk, is one of those things we take for granted until something goes wrong. When that does happen, i find myself doing all that I can to extend the time that I have which sometimes causes me to just overlook what's happening in front of me. Wow, rambling much? 

What am I trying to say? I have no idea, this blog feels super disconnected and wordy. All I know is that as I sit here writing this, I'm watching one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen. Time scares me, sometimes weather scares me but if I let that fear always dictate how I live, I could miss out on the beautiful/exciting/unknown things in life. I want as little regret as possible in my life, I already have way more than I'd care to have, and I think accepting the changing time and just going hard can help with that. 

I say all these things with the knowledge that I have a God that actually does know what's happening. It's super hard to believe that sometimes, but I should find peace in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment